Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Friday, March 27, 2009

LGBT sport vs mainstream sport: Same-sex dancing

From an interview with pair Tori and Yvonne in Same-Sex Dancing Blog:

Angelo: Have you ever entered mainstream competitions?

Tori: Have thought about it and discussed it with friends, but it isn't the dancing alone that interests me - it is very much about the dancing in a gay environment that lights my fire. I am not that interested in integrating the mainstream with the same-sex, I would rather preserve the gay scene and all that makes us special, rather than be tagged on to the end of a straight competition for the sake of visibility. I don't want anything to dilute the same- sex, if anything I would want to develop an even stronger sense of identity.

Yvonne: I have considered it and still do. We all know how expensive it is to travel abroad for competitions and it is tempting to get some floor experience by using the mainstream circuit. The trouble is, like so many other LGBT dancers, a large part of why I go to competitions is to enjoy the company and fun of being involved in an LGBT event. I love the whole community base of our competitions. Every one of our comps across Europe and the rest of the world offers hosted housing. Most include a social dance or parties or eating out together. And a chance to get to know new people and develop friendships. This is such an important part of what makes our scene special. I love going to a Gay Games and seeing thousands and thousands of others as excited as I am to be there. I love to be able to honour the courage of those competitors who have travelled from countries where their lives are endangered because of who they are and what they do.

Do I want to go to a mainstream comp where there is no atmosphere? Where the cleaners are sweeping up and clearing away before you're finished? Where there is no community? No actually.......... I'm here because I'm Queer!!!!

No comments: