Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Windy City profile: Stephen Hewitt

When he was 9, Stephen Hewitt tried out for the Sports Performance Volleyball Club (SPVC) and became the youngest and first boy inducted into a primarily all-girls 12-under program.

He ultimately played at SPVC for nine years, qualifying for the National Tournament when he was 14, 16, and 18.

"I was constantly plagued with injuries and illness in my later years," said Hewitt, now 19 and a Chicago resident in the South Loop. "When I was 16, I severely injured a muscle in my lower back that took me out for weeks and also developed a tendency to pass out from dehydration. When I was 17, my knee began giving out and, [ when ] 18, I injured my hand right before a big tournament in California. In order to keep playing I covered it up and never let it heal properly. I also punctured a hole the size of a quarter in my foot at National's, and [ this fall ] I may have popped a vein or two in my right hand."

Despite the injuries, Hewitt is still driven, motivated to excel. He's weight-training to get back in top shape and focused on the 2010 Gay Games in Cologne, where he will compete in beach volleyball and/or indoor volleyball.

"My [ Gay Games ] goals are to represent myself as a strong competitor/teammate who will help lead my team to [ victory ] ," he said. "I also would like to represent young gay men in sportsmanship, teamwork, drive, and communicability.

"For me, the Gay Games mean an official return to the sport that I built my life around."

Hewitt is now the men's and women's club volleyball coach at Illinois Performance Volleyball, and also a sales associate at Aeropostale. He is single, a 2008 graduate of St. Francis Catholic College Preparatory in Wheaton and now a sophomore at Columbia College in Chicago.

Read more HERE.

No comments: