Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Second silver for Matthew Mitcham in New Dehli

This morning (12 Oct) Matthew Mitcham and partner Ethan Warren took the silver medal in 10m synchronized platform diving at the 2010 Commonwealth Games.  Congrats!

We also enjoyed this article about Matthew in the
Times of India :

NEW DELHI: Matthew Mitcham once dressed as a unicorn for a Lady GaGa concert in Sydney, but was too embarrassed to meet his idol backstage. But reticence is not his style when it comes to discussing about his sexual preferences. Unlike diving legend Greg Louganis, who came out of the closet only after retirement, this 22-year-old Olympic champion from Down Under is openly gay, and he relishes donning the garb of a role model.

"I want to do the best job I can because I believe that it is important for people to have someone who is very comfortable and happy to be themselves," the Queensland diver told TOI. "And its easy for me to be open and proud."

He is aware of the hordes of Indian fans after receiving several messages on his twitter site. "I want to say thank you so so much for supporting me, and trying to come and watch my event and doing everything you can to show your support. I'm very proud to have you as fans and I hope to meet you all one day," he says, with palm on heart.

Read in full HERE.

And in
The Australian, Matthew comments on the focus of interviews on his sexual orientation:

THE world's No 1 diver, Matthew Mitcham, has labelled retired AFL star Jason Akermanis "narrow minded and homophobic". Taking a break between winning medals at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, Mitcham took time out to talk about his sexuality and gay kids in sport and to put the boot into Aker.

Just hours before winning his second silver medal of the Games in the 10m synchronised platform event, the Olympic champion was featured in a local newspaper under the headline "Mitcham Dives With Gay Abandon". The article focused almost solely on Mitcham's homosexuality with just a passing mention of his sporting prowess.

As one of Australia's few openly gay athletes actively competing - and certainly the one with the highest profile - Mitcham is used to the spotlight falling on his sexuality and has no complaints. As long as it doesn't overshadow his sporting achievements. "Being gay is a part of me that I've very proud of but I do like to compartmentalise the different areas of my life," he said. "My sport is my sport, I have my personal life and my university life and there is bound to be a crossover between them. I don't really mind at all, just as long as the people writing or talking about me don't discredit my diving ability. I'm here for a sporting competition and hopefully my results will stand out more than my sexuality."

No comments: