Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

US Sit Volleyball team at Times Square

A story submitted by Dianne Tinelli. New York, New York to Women's Sporting News, reminds us that inclusive sport is good for everyone:

I have to share my favorite lunch hour with the world. First of all, I’d like to thank Women’s Sporting News, @WSN247, for informing me that there was a 100 Days Celebration in Times Square for the Summer Olympics.

I walked to the event today at lunchtime and as soon as I integrated with the crowd on Broadway, I saw the U.S. Women’s Paralympic Sit Volleyball Team. I walked to the front, heard a man ask who’d like to participate and quickly raised my hand. He chose me and I practically ran through the crowd to get on the platform. The Paralympians waved me over to the other side of the net. I practically dropped my camera and papers I was carrying on to the sideline and sat down. They all said hi with big smiles on their faces. I had a permanent smile from then on. 

I was on the blue team with teammates Monique Burkland, Nichole Millage, Katie Holloway, Nicky Nieves and a little boy named Henry. Did I just call these amazing athletes teammates? Wow! We were facing the red team of Brenda Maymon, Army vet Kari Miller, Heather Erickson, Lora Webster and two lucky participants, like me. They told us to make sure not to lift our butt off the ground. My first serve didn’t make it over the net, but they told me to serve again. I didn’t realize without my legs, I needed to really pound the ball. So, I punched it and served an ace! OK, so I hit it in front of the non-athlete. On the next serve I aimed for a real athlete and we volleyed a few times and scored again. We won the game 15 to I don’t know what. Does it really matter? I PLAYED SIT VOLLEYBALL WITH THE MOST INSPIRATIONAL ATHLETES I’VE EVER MET. They gave me high-fives, compliments and of course, their smiles. They THANKED ME for playing! I thanked them and wished them luck. I didn’t want to get off the platform. I was in complete amazement.

Afterward, they played amongst themselves, then put their prosthetic limbs on and lined up near the Road to London bus for autographs. Of course, I had to get on the line to get their autographs. When I got there, some of them thanked me again for playing with them. They signed autographs and I took pictures of them before leaving.My day was made. No-one or nothing was going to bother me after that very inspirational moment I was so fortunate to share with the U.S. Women’s Paralympic Sit Volleyball Team - my new heroes. Of course, I will never forget it or them. I can’t wait to watch them compete this summer. I floated back to work after a few tweets and phone calls.Thank you again WSN for always keeping me in the know!

No comments: